About the event:
Saturday, August 5, 2017 | 12-3 p.m. | Main Gallery | Admission limited to 100 attendees
The CityArts Cupcake Challenge is a fundraiser to support CityArts' programming to underserved populations
in the community.
Contestants with the best cupcake recipe can submit their cupcake to be judged by a panel of local foodies.
Three categories will be open for entries:
NOVICE: This category will be open for a person who does not professionally produce cupcakes. A contestant in this category should not have sold or cannot currently be selling cupcakes for profit.
PROFESSIONAL: This category will be for a person (or business) who produces cupcakes professionally (for profit).
SPECIALTY: This category will be for a person (novice or professional) who creates specialty cupcakes (vegan or gluten free).
Want to enter?
- $25 entry fee for contestants
- Capped at 40 participants (15 in novice and professional categories, 10 in specialty category)
- Contestants must bring 4 cupcakes for submission on the day of the event. This will be for judging purposes.
- Contestants should bring additional cupcakes for the public to vote on for best-of-show (up to 100 attendees).
Prizes include ceramic cupcake trophies, gift cards to Cake Stuff and praise and accolades for being one of Wichita's best cupcakes.
meet the judges
Denise Neil (The Wichita Eagle) - Denise Neil is the restaurant writer at the Wichita Eagle and has reviewing local restaurants for 17 years. She also is the author of the blog, Dining with Denise, and on her Dining with Denise Facebook page, she offers updates on the local dining scene several times a day.
Michael Carmody (The Donut Whole) - Micahel is the owner of The Donut Whole, a local coffee and donut shop near Douglas and Hydraulic. If you follow his Instagram account, you'll see he enjoys eating at a lot of local restaurants. He likes that cupcakes can be enjoyed without plates or utensils - they're the perfect hand food!
Christian Shomberg (Churn & Burn) - Christian is the owner of Churn & Burn, a liquid nitrogen ice cream and coffee shop near Kellogg and Oliver. Christian has worked in the food industry in Wichita since 1995 and has a sweet tooth, which inspired him to open Churn & Burn. The best cupcake he's ever had was from Bagatelle Bakery. He's excited to be part of this competition because he enjoys trying new and unique recipes, especially those made by residents of our community.
Call (316) 350-3245 to pay your $25 entry fee using Visa or Mastercard. Checks (made payable to The Arts Council) can be mailed to CityArts (334 N. Mead, Wichita, KS 67202) or dropped off at the front desk. Put "Cupcake Challenge" in the memo line.
Want to try some cupcakes?
- Tickets for the event cost $10. This gives you full access to the cupcake stations and one voting ballot for best-of-show. Call (316) 350-3245 to reserve your spot.
- Ballots give you the opportunity to taste and vote for the best overall cupcake at the event.
- Event limited to 100 attendees. Get there early to sample all the cupcakes!